Wednesday, February 24, 2010

GAGA for GAGA

There's the obvious explanation that mono has completely screwed up my brain. (By the way, almost completely recovered already! Only two-and-a-half weeks as opposed to a month or more, though I still need naps to get me through the day.) Then there's the possible explanation that I've just gone completely insane, and that explains so much more.

Anyway.

Regardless of the reasons, I'm writing a pop musical based on the works of Lady Gaga.

Well, only the musical aspect of it. My good friend Lisa is writing the script.

It all started about a week ago when my good friend Lisa popped up on Facebook. (Yes, I suddenly realize how Corporate-America the end of that sentence sounds. It makes me sad, but oh well.) She said something along the lines of "Sorry you have mono, but I have this great beginning to a story line for a Lady Gaga musical. Want to help?"

My response: OMG HELL YES!!!!!!!!

There was much squeeing that day.

In the week since then, not only have we expanded the story (nearly finished with the outline) but we have about half the show planned out and incredible ideas for a couple of the big musical numbers. As musical director I haven't had much to do up till now besides say "Yeah, that works here in the show" but I got to come up with this fantastic and surprisingly awesome mashup of "Just Dance" and "Bad Romance that pops up about a third of the way through Act II. My next project is a big dance routine of "Poker Face" that I actually get to write and not just piece together in Garage Band. I'm excited but nervous — I've never really written anything before, so this is uncharted territory for me.

We have yet to get the rights for this, just so you know. We went hunting but couldn't find any way to contact Lady Gaga's record company, so the only ways we can think of are emailing her on MySpace or trekking to California to talk to them ourselves. It doesn't help that Lady Gaga is currently on tour in Europe till the beginning of June or something like that, so in the meantime I guess we just kind of work with what we have and hope for the best.

But.

What if we get the rights? What if we get the rights and actually finish the crazy project?

We'll be famous. We'll meet Lady Gaga. WE'LL FUCKING MEET LADY GAGA! Both my good friend Lisa and I have decided that in the event that we meet Lady Gaga, we shall both give her kisses.

Wow. How cool would that be? I mean, I love Lady Gaga. I've already decided that if I don't see her live before I die, I cannot die peacefully and my ghost shall roam the earth for eternity. But meeting her? Probably becoming good friends? I mean, we're writing a musical using her work. That's bound to create a lasting impression. We'll probably become pen pals or whatever. She'll give us recognition in her shows and we'll take pictures with her and go eat ice cream together. Awesome stuff like that. It would be mind-blowingly fantastic.

Ah, to meet Lady Gaga. We shall see, we shall see. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment